FAQ's by Department
No answers matched your search
Where is the Airport located?

The Airport is approximately 4.5 miles east of Sturgis at 13345 Alkali Road. 
Take Hwy 34 to Ft. Meade Way, then take an immediate left onto Alkali Road.  Travel 2.3 miles on Alkali Road. The airport is on the right. 

Is the Sturgis Airport open to the public?


Is there aircraft parking available?

There are private hangars on site. Tiedowns are available.

Are there other airports in the area?

Ellsworth AFB is 20 nm southeast. Black Hills Airport - Clyde Ice Field is near Spearfish, 18 nm west. Rapid City Regional is 26 nm southeast. Belle Fourche Municipal Airport is 28 nm northwest.

Who do I contact if I need more information?

If you need additional information please call: (605)347-3356.

Is fuel available at the Airport?

Yes, there is a 24/7 self-serve fueling station.  Jet-A fuel and AV Gas are both available.

Animal Shelter
If I need assistance after hours who do I call?

If you need help after normal hours, you can call the Police Department at 347-2573. They can dispatch an officer to your location or if you have a lost pet they will notify the other patrol officers to be on the lookout for your pet.

Is There a Dog Park in Sturgis?

At this time, there is a small, public dog park by Scott Peterson Motors.

You may walk your dog on the bike paths or in the City Park as long as it is on a leash. 
You can also walk your dog on the Ft. Meade Trail located south of the Ft. Meade Campus.  Park near the softball fields at the trailhead.  Dogs must be kept on leashes on this trail. 

If Animal Control picks up my dog, how long do I have to go get it?

The Animal Shelter will hold a dog for seven days.  After day seven the animal becomes the property of the shelter and could be put up for adoption.
The Animal Shelter will charge owners $10 a day for boarding a dog during the seven-day period. 

Proof of rabies vaccination must be provided when the dog is picked up. 

City Manager
How do I get on the mailing list for the monthly newsletter?

The Sturgis Information Publication (SIP) is produced and distributed each month by the Constituent Services Coordinator. If you would like to be added to our mailing list please send an e-mail with your request to csteele@sturgisgov.com. Additional copies of the SIP are also available at City Hall or you can view (PDF) the current and past editions on our website. SIP on the web....

How do I get upcoming events listed on the City calendar (website)?

You can contact the Constituent Services Coordinator with you information via e-mail at csteele@sturgisgov.com or you may call 347-4422.

I had a bad experience with a City employee. Who can I talk to about this?

Lisa Katzenstein is the Human Resources Officer for the City. She can be reached by calling 347-4422 or by e-mail at lkatzenstein@sturgisgov.com. We will do everything we can to answer your questions and resolve problems related to personnel.

I am looking for a job - are there any openings at the City of Sturgis?

We do have openings in various departments from time to time. We post all openings on our employment page of this website. You can register for automatic notifications and apply online. Link to Employment.....

Community Center
What are the hours at the Community Center?

Mon - Fri 5 am - 8 pm. Saturday 8 am - 5 pm. Sunday Noon - 5 pm. 
Hours are subject to change according to holidays and weather events. Limited access to the cardio and weight rooms is available 24/7 for an additional fee.

I need information on Little League Baseball

Little League Baseball is not a Community Center Program.
Contact: Chad Owens at 605-490-1280 for program information. Sturgis Little League...

Who Handles Youth Soccer?

Youth Soccer is not a Community Center Program. You may contact Don Wolkenhauer at 490-7379 for more information. Sturgis Soccer...

When Does the Driver's License Office Come to Sturgis?

The Driver's Licence office is at the Community Center every Thursday from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
The Driver's License office is not open the week of the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally. 

Who can help me with Youth Softball?

Youth softball is not a Community Center program. You may call Bill Short for more information 720-5931.

How many laps around the track equal a mile?

17 laps = 1 mile.

Is there a reduced membership price for low income people?

Yes, there are scholarships available for programs and memberships. Call our office for more information.

Who do I talk to about reserving a meeting room at the facility?

We rent meeting rooms at the Community Center and we rent the City Auditorium for a variety of events. You can simply call the Community Center and get all the details. Rooms book several weeks in advance, so call as soon as you know the date of your event.

Is the Community Center open during the Rally?

Yes, the facility stays open to the public during the Rally. We do have vendors on-site, and a variety of events are usually  scheduled during the week, but members are still encouraged to use the facility. There is limited parking available for members in the lot on the north side of the building. It is best to take Williams Street when visiting the facility during the Rally. The front parking lot is open to vendors only during the Rally.

Some amenities may not be available during the Rally.  Please call our office at 347-6513 prior to your visit. 

How do I get a rally vendor license?

You must have a location, a temporary sales tax license, and if you are vending food, you must contact the Department of Health prior to applying for a vending permit. For more information, go to Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.
Tattoo vendors are required to have an inspection prior to opening.  Contact the Sturgis Code Enforcement Office at 605-347-4422. 

We want to conduct a raffle. What are the Rules?

The City of Sturgis has an ordinance regarding raffles. Only registered non-profit organizations are allowed to hold a raffle. We require an application to be submitted to the Finance Officer at least 20 days before the raffle is to begin. All information including the raffle application can be found on the Forms and Applications page at the following link. You can also call the Sturgis Finance Office at 605-347-4422 for more information.Forms & Applications Page.

How can I purchase cemetery lots or find out where someone is buried?

Call (605) 347-4422 for information about purchasing lots. There is a map located at the cemetery for locating persons buried there.

Who do I call for garbage pickup?

Call the Public Works Department at (605) 347-3916.

Fire & Emergency
Do I need a burn permit to burn in the City?

Yes. In general, open burning is not permitted in the City, but a special permit may be granted by the City Council. Burn Permits

Does my business require a Certificate of Occupancy and a maximum occupant load?

A Certificate of Occupancy with maximum occupant load is required for each commercial structure and is issued by the City Building Inspector.

What is the City of Sturgis fire insurance rating?

The City of Sturgis has a class 5 rating.

Can I discharge fireworks in the City Limits?

No person shall explode or ignite any fireworks within the City or within one mile thereof except during the specified allowable time period of 8 AM until 10 PM on July 3rd and between the hours of 8 AM and 11 PM on July 4.
You may not set off fireworks in any City Park.
Do not use private property without permission.
Clean up your mess!

How do I sign up for Code Red Emergency Notifications?

You can register to receive Code Red Notifications by visiting https://www.sturgis-sd.gov/code-red.

You will need to set up a user name and password.  Once you are signed up, you can manage your notifications or discontinue your account at any time.

If you need assistance using this feature, please contact the Sturgis Code Enforcement Officer at 605-347-4422 ext. 227. 

Human Resources
How do I contact Human Resources?

Human Resources can be reached by calling (605) 347-4422, extension 221. Office hours are 7:00 am to 6:00 pm Monday - Thursday.
The Human Resources office is located in City Hall, 1040 Harley-Davidson Way. 

Open positions can be found on the Jobs page:  https://www.sturgis-sd.gov/jobs

Where is Human Resources located?

Human Resources is located at: 
City Hall 
1040 Harley-Davidson Way 
Sturgis, SD 57785

Please do not hesitate to stop by in person and visit.

What can Human Resources do for me?

Human Resources is dedicated to achieving the City's strategic goals by helping our employees resolve questions, concerns, and issues in order to allow them to focus on what they do best - their jobs. We encourage you to use HR as a resource and to let us help you.

What job openings does the City have? How can I apply for an open position?

All open positions are listed on the Jobs page.  Please submit your application online.  If you have questions about a job, please call the HR office at 605-347-4422 ext. 221.

Please note that the City of Sturgis only accepts applications for open positions. If you are not applying for a specific position, your application will not be retained. We encourage you to check our website often, and we thank you for your interest in working for the City of Sturgis.

Inspections, Compliance, Planning & Permitting
I want to put up signs supporting my election candidates - what do I need to know?

Campaign signs can go on private property with the property owners permission. You may not place campaign signs along City right of way such as along sidewalks or streets or anywhere on City property. Signs can not exceed 32 square feet in size and must be removed within one week after the election.

When can we put up Rally related signage?

July 15th of each year is the approved date.

When do Rally signs need to be removed?

All Rally related signs need to be removed within 2 weeks after the last day of the Rally.  Link to City Ordinance

How do I make a complaint about junk or unsafe conditions?

Residents are encouraged to report the unsafe condition of any property within city limits. To make a report, simply call our office at 347-4422, ext 227 Monday - Thursday 7:00 am to 6:00 pm.  You are not required to provide your name when making a complaint.

If you observe a dangerous situation outside of normal office hours, call the Police Department.

If I report someone who is violating City codes, do I have to give my name?

No, you can report violations without giving personal information. However, it is helpful if we can speak directly to you when we need more specific information about the problem.

I think there is a Rally vendor operating without a license - who do I report this to?

The City inspects all vendor locations within the city limits to make sure they have the proper license. However, sometimes vendors operate illegally. It is not fair to the vendors who do purchase the required permits and it is against city ordinance to operate without a proper license. Please report violations immediatedly to the Code Compliance Department at 347-4422, ext 227.

Im not sure if I need a building permit or not - who can help me?

We will be glad to answer all your building-related questions. Simply stop by our office at City Hall or call 347-4422, ext 214 and speak to our Building Inspector. 

I need an application for a variance, plat, zoning change... who can help me?

If you have questions about any of these items, call the Planning & Zoning Office at 347-4422 ext. 212.
You can also visit our web page "Code Compliance and Zoning" and click on Applications and Forms. This page has downloadable applications and a description of how each process works. Applications Page....

How can I find out if my property is in the floodplain?

FEMA maps are available from the FEMA website. Simply visit the FEMA Flood Map Service Center page and type in your address. Keep in mind, these maps are not always 100% accurate and an elevation survey may be the only way to accurately determine if your property is in a flood zone. Your lender may require an elevation certificate if you are close to a flood zone boundary. You can also call the Sturgis Flood Administrator/Building Inspector for assistance and ideas on how you can reduce the potential for flood damage to your home.

When is the library open?

The Sturgis Public Library Hours are:
Monday - Thursday 8:00 am - 7:00 pm
Friday 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Saturday 8:00 am - 4:00 pm

The library hours will vary during holidays. 

How do I get a Sturgis Library card?

Anyone living or working in Sturgis, Meade County, or in the Meade 46-1 School District is eligible for a card.
Bring two items with your name and current address to the Library and apply for a card.Click Here to Apply for Your Library Card

How long can I check out a book?

Books and magazines are loaned for three weeks.
Videos and DVDs are loaned for one week.

How do I renew my books?

Materials may be renewed by telephone unless there is a hold request on that item. 
You may also log onto your library card account and renew items online. Library Card Account Login

Mayor & City Council
I want to get married... does the mayor officiate weddings?

Yes, if he is available, the Mayor will officiate at your wedding.
The fee is usually  $100 and the money is donated to a non-profit organization.
To schedule, call the City Finance Office at 605-347-4422 and request an appointment.

I would like a media interview with the Mayor, how do I set this up?

You can call the Public Information Office at 347-4422 ext. 209 to make an appointment.

How do I contact my City Council Representative?

The City is comprised of four wards with two City Council representatives in each ward.
To determine which ward you live in, visit the Ward Locator page and enter your address.  
A list of City Council representatives by ward, including email addresses, can be found on the Mayor and City Council page.  

Motorcycle Rally
Where can I find information on where to stay during the Sturgis® Motorcycle Rally?

There is a listing of campgrounds, hotels/motels and private housing available during the Rally on our official website. Lodging Information...

What events are scheduled during the Sturgis® Motorcycle Rally?

Visit the official website for information on scheduled events. Official Website...

Do I have to wear a motorcycle helmet in South Dakota?

SDCL 32-20-4 states that "No person under eighteen years of age may operate or ride upon a motorcycle on the public streets or highways of this state unless the person wears a protective helmet of a type meeting Department of Transportation Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 218 as in effect on January 1, 1984. No person may operate a motorcycle with any person under the age of eighteen as a passenger if the passenger is not wearing a protective helmet."

Can I carry a firearm on my motorcycle?

SDCL 32-20-6.6 states that "No person, other than a law enforcement officer or conservation officer, or any person on the person's own land or land leased by the person, may operate or ride on any motorcycle or off-road vehicle with any firearm in the person's possession unless the firearm is completely unloaded and within a carrying case which encloses the entire firearm. However, this section does not apply to any person who is carrying a pistol and possesses a permit to carry a concealed pistol issued pursuant to chapter 23-7. This section does not apply to any person who holds a permit issued pursuant to § 41-8-37 while engaged in hunting from an off-road vehicle in accordance with the provisions of the permit."

Can I carry a firearm in South Dakota if I have a firearms permit in my state?

23-7-7.4. Nonresident permit to carry concealed pistol valid in South Dakota--Permit not required.

Any valid permit to carry a concealed pistol, issued to a non-resident of South Dakota, is valid in South Dakota according to the terms of its issuance in the state of its issue, but only to the extent that the terms of issuance comply with any appropriate South Dakota statute or promulgated rule. This section does not require a nonresident of this state who may lawfully possess a pistol to have a permit in order to carry a concealed pistol in this state.

Source: SL 2005, ch 123, § 1; SL 2019, ch 113, § 9.

The South Dakota Office of the Attorney General's website has detailed information about concealed weapons. South Dakota Office of the Attorney General

How do I become a vendor at the Sturgis® Motorcycle Rally?

Visit the Vendor page of the Official Sturgis Motorcycle Rally website for all the details.Vendor Information...

What do I need to know if I plan on getting married during the Sturgis® Motorcycle Rally?

The Sturgis Mayor does perform marriage ceremonies if scheduled well in advance. There are also private wedding services that can be found by googling Sturgis Weddings. You can schedule your wedding with the Mayor by calling the City Finance Office at 605-347-4422. Popular wedding areas include the following: Sturgis City Park, Photo Towers on Main Street, Library, City Hall Balcony, Harley-Davidson Rally Point Plaza and Lion's Club Park gazebo. Marriage licenses can be obtained from the Meade County Courthouse at 1300 Sherman.

View all Sturgis® Motorcycle Rally FAQs

Sturgis® Motorcycle Rally FAQs

How is the Rally attendance calculated?

Rally attendance figures are estimated based on a formula that has been used for the last decade, gathering data from different agencies and areas in the Black Hills to arrive at a plausible number. The six sources are: Department of Transportation traffic counts taken throughout the week at the entrances to Sturgis; tons of garbage hauled in Sturgis; attendee counts during timed photos taken throughout the event; parked vehicle counts that are taken throughout the event; Mount Rushmore traffic counts; and South Dakota Department of Revenue sales tax calculations.

Parks & Cemetery
How do I reserve a shelter?

Please call City Hall at 347-4422 with date of reservation. City Hall is open Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm. (Excluding Holidays) Shelter Information

How do I purchase a cemetery lot?

Cemetery lots are purchased at the Finance Office in City Hall.

How do I locate a gravesite?

Visit the Cemetery page and click on the Burial Report link. This report contains names and location for all graves. Link to Burial Report...

Planning & Zoning
How do I find out who owns a piece of property?

The most common way to find ownership of a piece of property within Meade County is to visit the Meade County website. The GIS tab allows the public to access the property records for the county. You can use a search engine or click on a map location. For additional information you can also call the Register of Deeds Office at 347-2356. Meade County GIS...

I live in Sturgis but I don't know how my property is zoned. Can you tell me?

There are several zones within the City of Sturgis. Each zone is designed for different uses. Most zones have specific rules and regulations for what takes place in that particular zone. A Zoning Map is available on this website at the link provided. Zoning Map Information...

Where do I find the ordinances that regulate the various zoning areas in Sturgis?

Title 18 of the Sturgis City Ordinances contains all the regulations related to building and use for all zones. The first step would be to determine which zone your property is located in. The next step would be to check the ordinance rules for that particular zone. Sometimes the rules can be waived through a variance process. Call the Planning Department for more information on the variance process. Title 18 Zoning Ordinance...

When does the Planning Commission meet?

The Commission usually meets monthly on the first Tuesday following the first City Council meeting. This schedule sometimes changes due to holidays and other factors. You can call the Planning & Zoning office at 347-4422 ext 212 to find out more about when the next meeting is scheduled.

How do I find out information about property outside the Sturgis City limits?

The City of Sturgis only regulates the property within the City limits and 3-miles outside the City limit boundaries. For areas outside the City of Sturgis you will want to contact Meade County at 347-2356.

How do I find out if someone is in jail?

Call (605) 720-6632

How do I get a copy of an accident report or other report? How much does it cost?

Call (605) 347-5070 Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:00 pm and ask for records. Report copies cost $4. Some reports may not be available.

When I have people knock on my door trying to sell me something how do I know they are licensed?

There are frequently groups of door to door type salesmen in the community. They are required to be licensed. They are also required to carry a copy of the license with them and show it to you if you ask. If they are not able to show you a Temporary Business License then they are probably not licensed and you should call the Police Department to report their activity. You can also check the City website on the door to door salesmen page. We list all valid license holder information on this page. Door to Door Salesman Page...

Can I find out the criminal history of a potential employee?

The South Dakota Division of Criminal Investigation can do that for you.

Can I get a copy of my own criminal history?

The South Dakota Division of Criminal Investigation can do that for you.

Can I carry a concealed weapon in South Dakota if I have a permit in my state?

The South Dakota Office of the Attorney General's website has detailed information about concealed weapons. South Dakota Office of the Attorney General

Are fireworks permitted within the Sturgis City limits?

Yes, the City of Sturgis allows fireworks to be used during the following dates/times:

Unless otherwise established by Council Resolution, this period shall be from 8:00 am to 10:00 pm on July 3rd, from 8:00 am to 11:00 pm on July 4th, and from 4:00 pm on December 31st until 1:00 am on January 1st.

City Ordinance 9.04.14: FIREWORKS SALES
For a period each year from June 27 through July 5, and from December 28 through January 1, fireworks may be sold within the City limits. Said sales shall be in accordance with all state and federal requirements, and no person shall be permitted to conduct such sales without a license issued by the City.

Can I make a Citizen's Arrest?

Yes, you can. Please fill out the Citizen Arrest Form and deliver it to the Police Department. If an emergency exists, call 911 immediately. Citizen Arrest Form...

I want to ride along with an officer, what do I need to do?

You will need to make arrangements in advance by contacting the Police Deartment at 347-5070. You will also need to fill out a Ride Along Waiver. 

I will be out of town for a few days, can someone check on my house while I am gone?

It's always a good idea to let the Police Department know if you will be gone. Please fill out the Vacation Watch form and turn it in to the Police Department before you leave.  Vacation Watch 

How do I find out more about our laws and ordinances?

We have our ordiances posted on our website. City Ordinances...

Can I fly my drone over downtown for fun or as part of my business?

FAA rules say "no way". You can't fly a drone or model airplane over people or personal property. FAA enforcement is in Sturgis during most events including the Rally and they are watching for violators. Fines can go as high as $300,000 if you are caught flying a drone over people. For more information go to the FAA website. FAA Drone Information...

Can I leave my bike parked on Main Street or a side street overnight during the Rally?

No. Streets must be empty at 2:00 every morning during the Rally. If bikes are parked on the street the tow truck will remove them. City crews have to be able to sweep the streets and get service vehicles into tight spots on the street. Crews work between 2 and 6 in the morning. If your bike gets towed, call the Police Department, they can tell you where it was taken. This restriction may also be in place when authorization for a street closure occurs for other events. Check with the Police Department before leaving any vehicle on the street overnight.

Can I drive my ATV or Side by Side on City Streets in Sturgis?

Any ATV or side by side must be registered and licensed in order to be operated on a public street. 
The State of SD requires all vehicles to have headlights, tail lights, a horn, and seatbelts prior to being licensed. 
You may NOT operate a vehicle of this type on Main Street during the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally.    

Public Works
Is There a Recycling Program in Sturgis?

Yes, we have a recycling program. The recycling lot is located south of Exit 32. . Visit our Recycling Information Page

Where do I find someone to shovel my sidewalk?

There are people in the community who are available for hire. You can visit the Snow Shoveling Resource List at the following link for a list of names. Link to List of Resources

Who do I call for garbage pickup?

Call the Public Works Department at (605) 347-3916.

Rally and Events Department
I want to be a vendor - where do I get information about rules & regulations?
All vending information is located on our official Sturgis Motorcycle Rally Website. Visit the Vending link on that page for all you need to know about becoming a vendor in Sturgis. Link to vending information...
How do I find a specific vendor?

The City has an awesome map page on our website. You can search for vendors, ATMs, Campgrounds and many other popular places. You can also turn on multiple layers of information. The vendor information is updated daily as vending licenses are issued. This map does not contain information about vendors outside the City limits of Sturgis.  Maps Page...

Where can I park when I visit the Rally?

Visit our Rally Vendor Location Map page for all sorts of Rally related information including tips on parking. There are several privately owned parking lots near the downtown area. You may also park on any public street unless it is signed as no parking. Use caution when parking on Main Street - No parking is allowed between the hours of 2am and 6am. Do not park where curbs are painted to indicate a NO PARKING area. Do not block mailboxes or driveways in residential areas. If you are unsure about parking in a specific area, please call the Police Department for more information prior to parking.  Map Page...

Where can I find an ATM?

ATM's are located all through the downtown area including Sturgis City Hall (Sherman and Harley-Davidson Way, the Sturgis Community Center at 4th and Lazelle (inside lobby) and at Rally Headquarters (located on the front step of the Armory) at Main and Junction. You can also look at the Rally Vending map that shows all kinds of information as well as vendor locations. Information Map...

Do I need a license to vend outside the City Limits?

Yes, you need a license to be a vendor at any location within Meade County. If you are outside the City limits you can call the County at 605-347-6830 or visit www.meadecounty.org for information. meade county website...

Can I fly my drone over downtown for fun or as part of my business?

FAA rules say "no way". You can't fly a drone or model airplane over people or personal property. FAA enforcement is in Sturgis and they are watching for violators. Fines can go as high as $300,000 if you are caught flying a drone over people. For more information go to the FAA website. FAA Drone Information...

Can I leave my bike parked on Main Street or a side street overnight during the Rally?

No. the Streets must be empty at 2:00 every morning during the Rally. If bikes are parked on the streets, tow trucks will remove them. City crews have to sweep the streets and get service vehicles into tight spots on the street. Crews work between 2 and 6 in the morning. If your bike gets towed, call the Police Department, they can tell you where it was taken. This restriction may also be in place when authorization for a street closure is in effect. Check with the Police Department before leaving any vehicle on the street overnight.

How Do I Find Events During the Rally?

You can download the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally app from the app store.  This free app will provide information about dining, lodging, events, news, parking, and more.

You can also follow the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally Facebook page.

Check out the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally website. 

These are the official City of Sturgis Motorcycle Rally channels.  Be watchful of fake sites that claim to be official sites - they are NOT affiliated with the City of Sturgis!   

Water & Utilities
Where do I pay my bill?

Our utility office is located at City Hall, 1040 Harley-Davidson Way, Sturgis, SD 57785. 
We have a 24-hr drop boxes located outside the main door at City Hall and along the front sidewalk at the Sturgis Community Center, 1401 Lazelle.

Who is responsible for setting utility fees?

The Municipal Utilities Board (MUB) sets the rates for water. Other utility rates such as sanitation and sewer are set by the Sturgis City Council

What are my payment options?

We accept the following payment options: Cash, local check, Visa, MasterCard and Discover. You can also sign up for Auto-Pay.

City Hall
Services provided at City Hall
How do I find a copy of a critical document like a marriage license or death certificate?

City Hall houses the Sturgis Finance Office, Administrative (HR) Services, the Sturgis Rally & Events Department, and the Planning/Zoning & Engineering offices. 

The Sturgis Public Library is located in the same building at 1040 Harley-Davidson Way. 

Critical documents such as marriage licenses, death certificates, property deeds, and plats are on file with the Register of Deeds Office at the Meade County Court House, 1300 Sherman Street.  Call 605-347-2356 for information related to these documents. 

What are the hours at City Hall?

Offices within City Hall are open from 7:00 AM until 6:00 PM Monday - Thursday.  Offices are closed Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
Different schedules may be in effect during holidays and special events. 

Check the Library section to see a listing of their hours.